Congo’s government declared a new outbreak of Ebola after two people were deadly infected and at least 17 people have died from the disease in the country’s northwest, the health ministry said on Tuesday.
The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s health ministry said in a statement, “Our country is facing another epidemic of the Ebola virus, which constitutes an international public health emergency.”
Five samples delivered to the National Institute of Biological Research in Kinshasa in which two came back positive for the Zaire strain of Ebola in the country’s Equateur Province, said Congo’s Health Ministry.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO) and Congo’s government reported 21 patients with signs of hemorrhagic fever before the outbreak was confirmed in which seventeen of them later died.
Congo’s government said five new cases were identified and delivered to the laboratory. They also said no deaths had been found among those who have hospitalized or among health workers treating the ill, till that time.
Ministry said in a statement that a team of experts would go to Bikoro to implement measures or to avoid the spread of the disease on Wednesday. The WHO and Doctors Without Borders sent a team to investigate and strengthen coordination over the weekend. Ministry said the group is also analyzing how the outbreak first started.
WHO said, when the disease which is deadly was first identified then it is the ninth Ebola outbreak in Congo since 1976. It noted Congo has a long track record of Ebola.
An outbreak of Ebola was recently recorded in May 2017 that four of the eight people infected in Congo’s Bas-Uele province in the northeast.
Ebola spreads or jumps by the animals, including bats and monkeys to the human. This virus can spread fastly between people without preventive measures and sometimes it is fatal in up to 90 percent of cases.