Home Headlines West Side teen Kenneka Jenkins’ freezer death was an “accident”

West Side teen Kenneka Jenkins’ freezer death was an “accident”

The cause of Kenneka Jenkins' death was hypothermia and "cold exposure in a walk-in freezer," where "ethanol and topiramate intoxication" was also a contributing factor in her death. 

0
SHARE

A teen from West Side who found dead in a walk-in freezer at Rosemont hotel last month on September 10 accidentally died from cold exposure, the alcohol intoxication was a contributing factor.

According to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office, the cause of Kenneka Jenkins’ death was hypothermia and “cold exposure in a walk-in freezer,” where “ethanol and topiramate intoxication” was also a contributing factor in her death.

West Side teen Kenneka Jenkins' freezer death was an "accident"

Topiramate is most commonly used for treating migraines and epilepsy, it also prescribed for the number of conditions.

She went to a party with her friends at around 11:30 PM on September 8, Friday. Jenkins went to the Crowne Plaza Chicago O’Hare Hotel & Conference Center in Rosemont, she went there to attend a party with her friends.

Jenkins went missing from the party, her family reported her missing report later on that day. Her dead body was found in a walk-in freezer at Rosemont hotel on September 10 before 1 AM.

The autopsy found stomach lesions that indicative of hypothermia, an autopsy found a bruise on Jenkins’ right leg abrasion on her right ankle, the medical examiner said.

The official said, “There was no other evidence of external or internal trauma.”

A toxicology test checks for hundreds of drugs and other chemicals in blood, saliva or urine where the drug can be inhaled, swallowed or injected, it can also be absorbed through the skin.

The release said, “When combined, the effect of either or both drugs is enhanced. Topiramate, like alcohol, can cause dizziness, impaired memory, impaired concentration, poor coordination, confusion and impaired judgment. Central nervous system depression, or impairment, combined with cold exposure can hasten the onset of hypothermia and death,” CNN reported.

The medical examiner’s office said, the cause of Jenkins’ death was “hypothermia due to cold exposure in a walk-in freezer. Alcohol and topiramate intoxication are significant contributing factors. The manner of death is: Accident.”

LEAVE A REPLY