Rob Porter, staff secretary at White House has resigned today, his resignation comes after his two former wives come forward and accused him of abuse.
For those who’re not aware, nobody asked him to resign, according to the multiple officials. In fact, senior officials tried to convince him “to stay and fight,” a White House official says. Those senior officials who were trying to convince Porter to stay and fight against the allegations made against him included Chief of Staff John Kelly
Porter issued a statement in which he strongly denied her ex-wives allegations, he called those allegations “false.” A part of his statement reads, “These outrageous allegations are simply false. I took the photos given to the media nearly 15 years ago and the reality behind them is nowhere close to what is being described. I have been transparent and truthful about these vile claims, but I will not further engage publicly with a coordinated smear campaign.”
Porter went on to say in the statement, “My commitment to public service speaks for itself. I have always put duty to country first and treated others with respect. I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to have served in the Trump Administration and will seek to ensure a smooth transition when I leave the White House.”
Colbie Holderness who is Porter’s first wife spoke out about the assault in an interview published on Wednesday by the Daily Mail. Holderness claimed that Porter choked and punched her in the face when they were on their honeymoon, she also said that Porter also allegedly kicked her, she even provided photos published with the article.
Jennifer Willoughby who is Porter’s second wife, recounted the abuse to Daily Mail earlier this week. She claimed that shortly after their first anniversary Porter pulled her all naked from the shower and then verbally abused her. The paper also obtained a 2010 police complaint against Porter, saying he allegedly punched the glass on a door at their home that led Willoughby filing a temporary protective order.